By: Susan Joy
When you live in a hot place like Western Australia at Christmas time, these delicious gingerbread balls are a better option than baking. They really hit the spot with their spicy ginger flavour. This healthy snack is not only gluten and grain-free but is also vegan.
Serves: 22 | Prep Time: 00:15 | Cooking Time: 00:00
- 5 (1/2 cup) Medjool date(s), pitted
- 1/3 cup coconut (organic finely-shredded)
- 1 cup (250g) almond butter/spread, or sunflower butter for nut-free
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes (organic)
- 2 Tbsp golden flaxseed meal (fine ground)
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, soft
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (100%)
- 1 Tbsp molasses (organic unsulphured)
Add the dates and coconut to a food processor and blend for 15 – 20 seconds until the dates have broken up into the coconut.
Add the remaining ingredients and process for 20 – 25 minutes to combine well.
Spoon out small amounts of the mixture into your hand, then squeeze to compact the mixture. Roll into walnut size balls and place on a lined tray and refrigerate until firm.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Suitable to freeze for up to 3 months.
Article supplied with thanks to The JOYful Table.
About the Author: Susan is author of The JOYful Table cookbook containing gluten & grain free, and Paleo inspired recipes for good health and well being.